Healing yourself is ultimately your responsibility – so it’s important to listen to your needs in order to renew, reflect or redirect your life. Rancho La Puerta helps you to find new paths to healing, providing you with the surroundings and programs to change, and the space to breathe. Living up to the motto, “Embrace your life. Start today!” the world’s oldest healing resort is the perfect escape from life’s stress and distractions – allowing you to experience a transformative vacation that empowers your true self.
Although fitness is a fundamental pillar – with more than 70 indoor and outdoor activities on offer – allowing your soul to stretch by connecting with nature is key to the Ranch’s healing philosophy.
Create your days by choosing the food, nutrition, exercise, rest, relaxation, education and expression you need to leave feeling rested and reenergized.
In 1940, Professor Edmond Szekely and his wife Deborah founded Rancho La Puerta with the goal to transform guests’ lives. Known as “the friendly spa”, Rancho La Puerta feels more like a close-knit eco-village than a destination spa. Set in the midst of colourful gardens with a private 3,000 acre nature preserve – everything from the front gate to the deep soil of the Ranch’s organic gardens, the medicinal plants and herbs that are grown for use in the spa’s healing treatments to it’s own meditation labyrinth – is deeply entwined with nature.
Here, in the proximity of Mount Kuchuma’s “exalted high place” there is also a sense of the sacred. For centuries, the Native American Kumeyaay tribe has honoured this mystical mountain as the womb of the world where creation sprang from and only shamans were allowed to summit.
For three generations, the Szekely family have also been committed to sustainable practices and protecting the natural world. As a guest you’ll feel like you are visiting a natural oasis and experience the preciousness of this beautiful landscape reflected back at you by participating in the Ranch’s many eco programs at the nearby Tres Estrellas organic farm, in the community of Tecate and the trans-border region beyond.
«Even though it’s tempting to sleep in, don’t miss out on the morning hikes! You won’t regret it.»
- An eco-village of 84 private tile-roofed “garden casitas”
SPA & THERAPIES
Women’s and men’s health centres, saunas, whirlpools, four swimming pools (one specifically for water exercise), 12,000 sqm. gymnasium, meditation labyrinth
- Holistic therapies: Ayurveda, acupuncture, craniosacral therapy, chiropractic services, Feldenkrais, acupuncture, and WATSU, water dance, reiki, reconnective healing, somatic experiencing, lifeline technique
- Massage and bodywork: Mountain Sage Hot Stone massage, sports massage, aromatherapy, sports massage, pregnancy massage, healing therapy, reflexology
- 5 elements treatment (wood, water, metal, fire, earth), facials, heads/hands/feet treatments, men’s spa treatments, nutrition consultation, salon treatments (nails, hair, waxing), wraps, xocolatl skin replenishment
- International-style cuisine with Mediterranean, Latin American and Asian influences
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian menu (no meat or poultry) with “catch of the day” (seafood), gluten-free and vegan options available
- Largely vegetarian, low in fat, sodium, and refined flour and sugar — while high in energy, fiber, and complex carbohydrates
- “Slow food” principles using fresh, local and seasonal produce farmed from the Ranch’s own gardens and the nearby Tres Estrellas organic farm
The ranch offers over 70 indoor and outdoor activities including:
- Body-mind classes: yoga, Pilates, tai chi, The Bar Method, gyrokinesis, stretch and flexibility training, Feldenkrais, postural therapy
- Cardio fitness and strength training: cardio, cardio boxing, interval training, boot camp, Cycle 30, ranch cycling, TRX, Par Cour obstacle training, Tabata Sculpt, Bosu fit, cardio drum dance, world drumming
- Dance classes: cardio drum dance, Zumba, salsa, Soul Motion™, hoops, Bollywood, NIA (Neuromuscular Integrative Action)
- Mindfulness classes: meditation, chanting, sound healing
- Art classes: jewelry making, landscape sketching, watercolor, sculpture
- Labyrinth meditation walk
- HYDRO-FIT aqua training and swim coaching
- Guided mountain and trail walks
- Trail running
- Tennis and pickle ball
- Golf lessons
- Nutrition talks and cooking classes
- Men’s fitness and spa programs
- Eco-programs: organic gardening
- Executive Wellness programs for: stress, fatigue, weight loss, fitness and cleansing
- Annual calendar of events and special programs with visiting experts.
- Tranquil, rural setting near the designated ‘magical village’ of Tecate
- At the foot of Baja California’s sacred and mystical Mt Kuchumaa
How to get there
- An hour’s drive from San Diego
- Round-trip bus service provided on Saturdays
P.O. Box 69
Tecate, CA 91980